Monday, November 15, 2010

Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [Review]

Dark Fantasy
Who would think that Kanye's 5th studio album would open with narration from Nicki Minaj?  The orchestrated entrance is brilliant, building up to one of Ye's smoothest instrumentals EVER...the plan was, to drink until the pain over, but whats worse, the pain or the hangover... (5/5)


Gorgeous (ft. KiD CuDi & Raekwon)

Cudi is the perfect fit for this hook.  Upon listening, the beat becomes very repetitive, but believe me when I say Kanye's flow keeps your interested for about four of the five minute song.  (2/5)
Power (ft. Dwele)
The first single, the number one single, and the hottest thing Kanye's given us since Graduation.  Quote me.  (6/5)
All Of The Lights (ft. 11 Artists)
Ya know sometimes things just weren't meant to be.  It's an incredible accomplishment for all eleven artists to collab on something and have it sound this good, but too be honest, it's just to much.  I mean, I didn't know this song was mainly Kanye West ft. Fergie.  (3/5)
Monster (ft. Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, & Bon Iver)
Damn does this one bang.  If Nicki Minaj wasn't on this cut, I would say it is a top 3 song on the album, but this girl---i dont even know what to say.  Nicki fans love the song, everyone else thinks its been ruined.  Aside from that, Kanye absolutely shreds his verse and Hov obviously delivers. (3.5/5)
So Appalled (ft. RZA, Jay-Z, Pusha T, Swizz Beatz, & CiHi Da Prynce)
Oh there it is, the banger of the album.  I have had this one on repeat since its G.O.O.D Friday debut.  The hook couldn't get more annoying by the last verse, but its catchy as hell in the beginning.  Awesome song for CiHi to be featured on. Fuckin ridiculous.  (4.5/5)
Devil In A New Dress (ft. Rick Ross)
Who knew the first G.O.O.D Friday leak would be the centerpiece of Ye's album.  This song right here is why Kanye West should produce every song he is ever on.  No one in the game is capable of a sample like this.  And the flow ontop of it?  Rick Ross holds his loads ofweight.  (5/5)
Runaway (ft. Pusha T)
Never really got sucked into it.  Its a masterpiece in itself but after seeing it with so many intense ballet visuals, the audio sounds kind of dull after a while. The honest fact is that I'm just never going to request this song on someone iPod.  The hook is so ironically perfect and that is what makes Kanye the shit.  (2/5)
Hell of a Life
I want to know what song he sampled here or if its just a nasty little riff.  Either way, this song has me hooked.  Speaking of the hook, it needs work, but I still dig it.  This is one you'll forget about but love it when you remember it years to come.  (4/5)
Blame Game (ft. John Legend)
If this album was Graduation, this one would be Everything I Am.  Smooth as anything you've ever heard.  Its definitely long but has some funny Chris Rock editing toward the end.  In the middle there is a panning of deep voices.  Through laptop speakers it might sound bizarre, but with headphones on, the effect is impressive.  I really like this song.  (4/5)
Lost In The World
This one just doesn't do it for me.  Can someone turn the autotune off? (1/5)
Who Will Survive in America
Simple Outro.  Beat is hot. (3/5)
Overall
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is unlike anything Kanye has ever done.  As we saw with 808's & Heartbreak, Kanye can really go wherever he wants with him music.  I would say that many of these songs would sound out of place alone, but the cohesiveness as an album is remarkable.  Kanye never disappoints, and I obviously stamp my sign of approval on this one.  Go buy it and support hip hop music!

No comments: